OpenGL Develpment Cookbook

Leaving the OpenGL SuperBible 5th Edition behind it is time to move on to the next book on my shelf.
I hope to have a bit more success with this book. Since this is not an introductary book I may have to take long breaks to follow online tutorials. Amazon Link


Here are the assignments completed so far, modified to use SDL2.

K&R homework

I've needed to keep pushing my C education so I've taken on doing the exercises from my K&R book (The C Programming Language 2nd Edition). This has been an interesting task since modern Linux distributions are supporting UTF8 which can really throw a wrench into the whole basic input/output idea.

Here is what I have completed, I hope it may help others.

OpenGL SuperBible Fifth Edition (5th Edition)

My next project will be using older OpenGL (not fixed function pipeline old though) in a 3D engine.
This leads me to the OpenGL SuperBible as new homework and (I'm assuming) OpenGL 3.3.
For this project I will have to switch away from the C used in Legend of Pandora and into C++. I will do my best to try and get the tutorials in the book working since I have already heard horror stories about the code in the book being less than stellar.
Amazon Link


Here is what I have completed, I hope it may help others.

Trade

I've witnessed a need for a spoken language that is more computer friendly. I've dubbed this the "Trade" language. It normally takes a back seat to other projects but it has made some progress over the years.

Here are some notes I have made on my progress.

Legend of Pandora

This is a game I've been working on to get me started in the indie scene. It's not much but I wanted something "simple" to get started with. Unfortunately a Legend of Zelda clone is FAR from simple so this is taking me quite a while to finish.

-no link yet-

--

-update- (2019/10/23)

This little game is finally all done!



At the time of this writing it has been well received in the OpenPandora community with two five-star reviews and 40 downloads.

Pandora Repo link

I completed the project (started in 2014 some time) using C and SDL 1.2. I chose to align with the Linux Kernel style and snake_case (not everything was changed unfortunately) to force myself away from Allman 2 and camelCase. I feel that flexability in styles is important.
(I wish I knew about clang-format before ending this project!)
The project was a grueling one since I was never a huge (NES) Zelda fan (or 2d fan) in the first place. I look forward to doing a 3d project since it is what excites me the most. Discipline was a must to get through and it was a great feeling to get to completion and release. All that remains are a possible Windows/Linux Desktop port so those without a Pandora can play. In hindsight it is funny to see a project that I had been messing around with for five years take only five minutes to complete.
If you want to play around with the source and assets here is the gitlab link:

gitlab

Programming a 2D engine from scratch was a worthy experiment. I still feel though that, for working with a team and a deadline, using an engine is the better choice. However, for learning, you can't really beat managing your own timers and data. It really opened my eyes to the compexity of a game that on the surface seems so elementary. It was also a joy to create the pixel art and not blindly use assets.